3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
½ lb SAMPCO Extra Lean Shredded Beef
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
½ cup carrot, julienned
½ cup red bell pepper, julienned
½ cup scallion, sliced thin
3 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
12-15 square wonton wrappers
1 beaten egg
1. Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or medium skillet over medium heat; stir-fry garlic & ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Stir in shredded beef and Chinese 5-spice powder. Heat, undisturbed for 2 minutes. Add one-half of the soy sauce mixture; stir to incorporate and continue cooking for 2 additional minutes. Transfer seasoned beef to a bowl.
4. Return wok or skillet to medium-high heat with remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil.
5. Add carrot, red bell pepper, scallion and cabbage; stir-fry on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to medium; add remaining soy sauce mixture and stir-fry for an additional minute. Fold stir-fried vegetables into seasoned beef until combined; allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain any excess liquid before assembling
7. To assemble: working with one wonton wrapper at a time & on a flat surface, position the wrapper as a diamond shape– with one corner closest to you. Place 3 to 4 tablespoons of the beef-vegetable mixture in the center of the wrapper; roll the bottom corner (closest to you) over the filling. Brush the top corner with beaten egg; fold in the side corners and continue rolling until closed. Repeat with remaining filling and wonton wrappers. (While working, keep completed rolls and unused wrappers under a damp towel to prevent dry-out.)
8. Fry in vegetable oil (preheated to 375°F) for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce.