SAMPCO Lean Shredded Beef
Southwestern Steak & Green Chili Enchiladas
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium chopped yellow onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 pound SAMPCO Extra Lean Shredded Beef
1 (7 oz) Can diced green chilies
¼ cup Chunky salsa
1 tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 (15 oz) Can black beans, rinsed & drained
3 cups green chili enchilada sauce (roasted tomatillo salsa)
3 cups shredded Monterey or pepper jack cheese
12 warm corn tortillas
Sour cream garnish, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion & cook, while stirring, until softened (but not browned), about 2 minutes.
3. Add minced garlic, cumin and coriander; continue cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds
4. Stir in shredded beef, diced green chilies, salsa, salt and pepper until combined. Heat, while stirring occasionally, allowing beef to develop a bit of a sear (crispy texture & flavor) while retaining moisture & tenderness, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Adjust heat to medium-low. Fold in black beans, 1 cup of enchilada sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir gently to incorporate & allow to heat through, about 5 minutes.
6. To assemble: place 3 to 4 tablespoons of beef mixture onto each tortilla; roll – leaving ends un-tucked. Arrange rolled tortillas in a baking dish (9×13). Coat arranged tortillas with remaining sauce and top with rest of shredded cheese.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted & bubbly. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
**Cook’s tip: If you like it hot- add 1 diced jalapeño during step #3!
Makes 12 enchiladas